Surge Protection Weatherford, TX
A power surge happens anytime the voltage in your home goes above the standard 120 volts. Most homeowners are unaware of this, but power surges can cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage each year. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, your best bet is to protect your Weatherford home with a surge suppressor.
If you’d like to learn more about surge protection in Weatherford, or are ready to have a whole-home surge suppressor installed, give us a call at Lightfoot Mechanical today! An expert from our surge protection services team will be out to your home soon. We’ll run some tests, then let you know if surge suppressors or other surge protection options in Weatherford might be right for you!
Power Surges: What You Need to Know About
Here are a few more things that most people don’t know about power surges.
- About 80% of power surges start in the home
- Surges can also be caused by faulty wiring, downed power lines, and utility company problems
- Surges can happen when major appliances turn on or off, causing temporary power spikes
Do I Need Surge Protection?
While only a qualified electrician can tell you for sure if you need surge protection in Weatherford or the surrounding area, there are a few things that make it more likely to be something you should invest in. These include:
- Having an older home. If your home was built in the 1970s or earlier, you stand a greater chance of experiencing a devastating power surge.
- Performing electrical upgrades. The circuits installed in your home were designed to bear a certain load. If you have new appliances or have put a greater electrical load on the existing circuits, they may be more likely to suffer a power surge.
- Your home has been struck by lightning in the past. Lightning is only one cause of power surges but those surges can be destructive. If your home is in particular danger of being struck, you may want complete home surge protection for peace of mind.
- Your utility company suffers frequent problems. Everything from downed power lines to problems in the plant can cause surges. You may decide to protect your home just in case.
What is a Surge Suppressor?
Surge suppressors are designed to detect excessive voltage and redirect it to a grounding wire, which returns voltage to normal levels. While there’s no way to protect your home from a lightning strike, a surge suppressor is your best option for getting maximum surge protection.
When choosing a surge suppressor, consider:
- Clamping voltage. This is the level at which it passes electricity into the ground. You can choose between devices rated at 330, 400, or 500 volts. In this case, lower voltage is better.
- Energy absorption and dissipation. This is the device’s capacity to absorb extra energy when it surges. You want a rating of more than 600 joules for satisfactory protection.
- Response time. You want this to be under 1 nanosecond for maximal home protection.
Using highly-rated surge protectors to plug your devices into is also a great idea!
Weatherford Surge Suppressor & Protection Pros
Wondering if surge protection in Weatherford or the surrounding area is right for you? Call us at Lightfoot Mechanical to get the information you need to make a wise, informed decision about surge protection for your home. Or, if you’re sure you want complete home surge protection in Weatherford, call us to get that process started!